SunGenius solar shack geysers save money,
improves living conditions and provide
a family with daily free running hot water
Background – Informal housing challenges
The nature of informal housing structures, the lack of running water and the cost make conventional solar geysers, exclude millions of people from access to solar geyser technology.
How does a solar shack geyser work?
A heavy duty black flexible solar geyser is installed on a wall or pole facing the sun. It is manually or automatically filled up with water by connecting it to running water or by filling it up with a bottle or mug. The black front panel is heated up by the sun, which transfers the heat to the water inside the geyser. An insulated panel on the side not facing the sun prevents the heated water from cooling down again.
When the sun sets, the front panel is covered with a removable insulation, keeping the water warm till late at night. In the morning the front panel insulation is removed for solar heating to resume . The front insulation panel is permanently attached to the geyser and takes seconds to cover and uncover.
Do it yourself
- The solar geyser can be installed in less than 30 minutes. DIY – Very little basic plumbing and almost no tools needed. Easy to follow instructions make it possible for almost anyone to install a SunGenius geyser
- The geyser can easily be installed in line with grid water to be filled by opening a tap instead of filling it manually
- Heats up 50 liters of water per day, which is double the quantity of water most shack owners heat up on a daily basis using wood and paraffin. Depending on the water quantity and weather conditions, the water can be heated up to as high as 60+ degrees Celsius.
- It can be installed at almost any structure, including flimsy zinc patched shacks, brick houses and poles.
- A pole mounted solar geyser is especially handy if the housing structure is not suitable for a SunGenius installation or if the house is not suitably oriented towards the sun.
Practical and Convenient – A solar geyser in a box
- The SunGenius solar geyser is an all weather installation, rust free, hail resistant and out of the shade of an overhanging roof
- It weighs only 5kg and measures 530 x 530 x 100 mm when packed. When installed it measures 1500 x 500 x 100 mm
- Can be delivered easily using courier services
- SunGenius is manufactured from heavy duty flexible material (1000g/m²), certified for the storing of drinking water and has a 24 month material and factory guarantee.
As a permanent and fixed installation, our pilot tests proved that SunGenius solar geysers does not disappear. It seems that the community value the efforts and sees a future and long term benefit for solar heated water.
- Materials – Approved for the storage of drinking water. (AS/NZS 4020-2005)
- Ease of installation – compared to conventional geysers – super easy
- Ease of filling – It is the same effort to fill the geyser than pouring water in a cooking pot. When running water is available the geyser can easily be connected to be filled up by opening a tap.
- Cost of installation – Zero
- CO2 Emissions – Zero
- Indoor emissions – Zero
- Safety – 100%
- Acceptance – 100%
- Daily usage – 100% (when the sun is shining)
- Heats up 50 liters of water to 60+ degrees C in summer and 50+ degrees C in winter. The water temperature depends on the amount of hot water in the container, the length of time the water has been in the sun, the amount of sun there is and the ambient temperature.
Hot water for Cooking
The already hot water speeds up the cooking process and therefore uses less wood and other cooking fuels in the process. As Ruben, one of our clients said, “The pap is cooked so much quicker”
It is our estimation that just as much firewood is burnt to heat up water for different family needs as is the case for cooking. It takes a lot of wood to heat up 50 liters of water in small and ineffective containers, while this effort could have been spent on cooking for the family.
Unlike clean cook stoves and solar ovens, the SunGenius shack geyser has no resistance to acceptance. The immediate convenience of hot water from an indoor tap, eliminates the possibility completely of the household ever turning back to old ways. The big difference is the fact that a shack geyser is a permanent installation, if the sun is shining it heats up water. No need to set it up, watch it, carry it around or store it. When the sun is shining, it heats up water.
“Just fill it” and forget about it.
At the end of the shack geyser life cycle, the household will have become so used to free solar heated hot water every day, that they will not hesitate one moment to replace the geyser immediately at own cost. The replacement cost will also be relatively low, as we only replace the water container and not all the other fittings and extras that come with it.
SunGenius solar shack geysers are affordable
SunGenius can be bought and paid for by every one. Although, help is urgently needed to help the really poor and disadvantaged families.
So, if you have a friend, family or someone working for you who can benefit from solar heated hot water, sponsor him or her with a SunGenius solar geyser and they will never want to be without free hot water again.
SunGenius can help more than a billion people to stop using firewood for heating up water.
Developments are in progress to add Photo Voltaic (PV) panels which will convert the geyser into a hybrid system to be able to heat up water and charge batteries at the same time. The new developments will also provide the household with instant solar hot water while doubling the lifetime of the geyser.
“Just fill it”
SunGenius Solar Shack Geyser is a South African innovation and 100% locally manufactured.