Total and Unconditional Acceptance
Background – Informal housing challenges
Three billion people have to rely on wood, coal, charcoal or animal waste for cooking and heating. 40 To 60% of the energy consumption in any household is spent on heating up water. Especially those relying on wood. They battle on a daily basis trying to heat up just a little bit of water.
The nature of informal housing structures makes the installation of conventional solar geysers impossible, which excluded millions of people from access to solar geyser technology.
ShackShower was specifically developed for people living in informal settlements. This patent pending solar geyser is filled up manually and provides affordable and convenient running solar heated water either inside or outside the shack, while cutting out wood, paraffin, gas and electricity for heating up water.
How does it work
A heavy duty black flexible solar geyser is installed on a wall facing the sun and manually filled up with water. The black front panel is heated up by the sun, which transfers the heat to the water inside the geyser. An insulated panel on the side not facing the sun prevents the heated water from cooling down again.
When the sun sets, the front panel is covered with a removable insulation, keeping the water warm till late at night. In the morning the front panel insulation is removed to allow the water to be solar heated again. The front insulation panel is permanently attached to the geyser and takes seconds to cover and uncover.
Do it yourself
- It can be installed in less than 30 minutes. DIY – Very little basic plumbing and almost no tools needed. Easy to follow instructions make it possible for almost anyone to install a ShackShower
- Heats up 45 liters of water per day. Depending on the water quantity and weather conditions, the water can be heated up to as high as 70 degrees Celsius.
- It can be installed at almost any structure, including flimsy zinc patched shacks, brick houses poles and fences
- A pole mounted solar geyser is especially handy if the housing structure is not suitable for a ShackShower installation or if the house is not suitably oriented towards the sun.
Practical and Convenient
- An all weather installation, rust free, hail resistant and out of the shade of an overhanging roof
- The Shackshower weighs only 4kg and measures 500 x 550 x 100 mm when packed. When installed it measures 1500 x 500 x 100 mm
- Can be delivered easily using courier services
- ShackShower is manufactured from heavy duty flexible material (1000g/m²), certified for the storing of drinking water and has a 24 month material and factory guarantee. (AS/NZS 4020-2005)
As a permanent and fixed installation, our pilot tests proved that ShackShowers does not disappear. It seems that the community value the efforts and sees a future and long term benefit for ShackShowers.
Hot water for Cooking
Using solar heated water for cooking, speeds up the cooking process and therefore uses less wood and other cooking fuels in the process. As Ruben, one of our clients said, “The pap is cooked so much quicker”
It is our estimation that just as much firewood is burnt to heat up water for different family needs as is the case for cooking. It takes a lot of wood to heat up 45 liters of water in small and ineffective containers, while this effort could have been spent on cooking for the family.
Clean and convenient drinking water
The indoor ShackShower is installed on a wall inside the house and can be filled up with 45 liters of clean drinking water.
Unlike clean cook stoves and solar ovens, the ShackShower has no resistance to acceptance. The immediate convenience of hot water from an indoor tap, eliminates the possibility completely of the household ever turning back to old ways. The big difference is the fact that a ShackShower is a permanent installation, if the sun is shining it heats up water. No need to set it up, watch it, carry it around or store it. When the sun is shining, it heats up water.
“Just fill it” and forget about it.
At the end of the ShackShower life cycle, the household will have become so used to free solar heated hot water every day, that they will not hesitate one moment to replace the geyser immediately at own cost. The replacement cost will also be relatively low, as we only replace the water container and not all the other fittings and extras that come with it.
ShackShowers are affordable
As you have noticed, ShackShowers can be bought and paid for by every one. To help the really poor and disadvantaged families, help is urgently needed.
So, if you have a friend, family or someone working for you who can benefit from solar heated hot water, sponsor him or her with a ShackShower and they will never be without free hot water ever again.
ShackShower can help more than 3 billion people to stop using firewood for heating up water.
“Just fill it”
ShackShower is a South African innovation and 100% locally manufactured.